挖掘已经证明了定居残留物，坟墓，建筑基础和站立在格拉斯顿伯里（Glastonbury Tor）上1539. TOR在原本平坦的和曾经沼泽的景观中的身高，形状和突出意味着它将引起人们对防御品质的关注，并且自然而然地像精神或宗教朝圣之地一样具有吸引力。在发掘中发现的后罗马时期的陶器和金属发现的高地位性质表明，尽管不能排除早期基督教的定居点，但使用该地点作为据点。当然，该网站支持至少十世纪的修道院静修所，教堂是在峰会上依次建造的。已显示第二个中世纪教堂伴随着当代建筑，表明在Tor上保留了永久存在，以便参加朝圣者并庆祝弥撒。该教堂的塔楼献给圣迈克尔，仍然是地标，可以从周围的数英里处看到。许多幸存的中世纪文件有助于确认托尔作为宗教中心的古代，并牢固地编织成古老的文学传统，围绕格拉斯顿伯里的亚瑟国王的存在。纪念碑将保留重要的考古证据，证明后罗马时期的人民的生命和宗教信仰（否则证据非常稀缺），后来的撒克逊人时期和中世纪时期，托尔的意义时代是一个礼拜场所以及该地点与附近的格拉斯顿伯里修道院之间的关系。
格拉斯顿伯里（Glastonbury tor）的纪念碑包括一部分在罗马后职业地点的遗迹，其历史可追溯至第六世纪至七世纪公元，这是修道院定居点的一部分，可能至少可以追溯到十世纪，一部分是上面和下方的一部分被解释为圣迈克尔崇拜的中世纪朝圣中心的基础。后一个建筑群包括圣迈克尔教堂及其14世纪的站立塔的基础，该塔楼是I级的级别I级。所有这些遗骸都位于相对平坦的山顶和格拉斯顿伯里（Glastonbury Tor）的西南肩上，这是一个著名的自然锥形圆锥形山丘上有一个长300m鲸鱼的山脊向西南倾斜，就在格拉斯顿伯里（Glastonbury）的东南部。峰会高于海平面158m，对周围的许多平坦萨默塞特郡的层面有指挥观点，传统上与传奇的阿瓦隆岛（Avalon Isle）相关，阿瓦隆（Avalon）是亚瑟王（King Arthur）的一个著名的安息之地。尽管在TOR上发现了早期时期的工件，但最早的定居点证据来自后罗马时期（所谓的黑暗时代）。1964 - 66年进行的发掘表明，在圣迈克尔大厦东北的Tor山顶上，木材结构，金属工作炉膛和坑的存在。挖掘机菲利普·拉赫兹（Philip Rahtz）考虑了这些遗体，这些遗体被计划，记录和出版，以代表以六世纪为中心的罗马后据点或定居点的地点，但也许可以追溯到第五世纪，直至世俗的或可能是早期的基督教。由于南北方向，发现了两个与最早记录的遗体相关的坟墓被认为是异教徒。 Post-Roman finds recovered from the excavation were of high quality for the times and included imported Mediterranean pottery associated with either wine or olive oil which are indicative of a surviving trading network in the post-Roman south west; this contrasts with what appears to be the situation in the rest of the country. There is no evidence of continuity between the early settlement and the complex which replaced it but continuity in some form may be considered likely. In excavation, a number of timber buildings set on platforms cut into the rock and including two possible monastic cells and the post-holes for timber uprights of a possible communal building were recorded. These remains have been interpreted as those of a monastic retreat of late Saxon origin which lasted probably into the early Norman period. A cross base found on the summit was believed to be Saxon in date. Although there is no direct reference to a pre-Conquest monastery on the Tor, a 13th century document known as the `charter of St Patrick' names two lay brothers, Arnulph and Ogmar, residing on the Tor in former times. This suggests that in the 13th century there was a strong tradition that there had been a monastic settlement on the Tor. The summit of the Tor is dominated by the standing tower of the church of St Michael. The original stone church, which may have had timber predecessors, has extant foundations believed to date from the 12th century. This church appears to have formed the focus of a monastic complex and this is confirmed by a charter of 1243 which gives permission for the holding of a fair `at the monastery of St Michael on the Tor'. The 12th century church was reportedly destroyed by an earthquake on 11th September 1275. Rebuilding commenced under Abbot Adam of Sodbury in the first half of the 14th century and the base of the standing tower is believed to date from this period; it was restored in 1804 with the north east corner being entirely rebuilt. The tower, which survives to three stories high but is unroofed, has seven canopied niches on its western side. Five of these are vacant but one contains a statue of St Dunstan and another, the base of a statue of St Michael. Flanking the western doorway of the tower, are matching relief carvings, one of an angel watching over the weighing of a soul and one of St Bridget milking her cow; a relief carving of an eagle is set just below the string course of the upper storey. On the east side of the tower the scar of the nave roof may be seen; its foundation walls partly survive below ground and were recorded and left in situ by the excavator. The exposure of the foundations showed the rebuilt medieval stone church to have been 25m in length inclusive of the tower, and 7.5m wide. Revealed in excavation to the south west of the church were the enclosure wall of the churchyard and beyond that the traces of a suite of buildings of 14th to 15th century date which are interpreted as the living quarters of a resident priest in attendance at the church, and a possible bakehouse for the provision of food to pilgrims. If this interpretation is correct it seems likely that pilgrims attracted to Glastonbury Abbey would visit St Michael's on the Tor as well and that the two establishments were almost certainly linked in some way. All of the above ground stonework of St Michael's Church, apart from the tower, was removed in the aftermath of the Dissolution of 1539 probably at the same time that buildings at Glastonbury Abbey were dismantled. The last Abbott of Glastonbury, Michael Whyting, was executed on the Tor in 1539 as part of the political ramifications of the Dissolution and his quartered body distributed to the four Somerset towns of Wells, Bath, Bridgwater, and Ilchester.